2016/17 Annual Survey Report Available to View Online!
South West Museum Development is pleased to announce that our Annual Survey of Museums Report 2016/17 is now available to view online. 79% of Accredited museums across the South West region contributed to our 2016/17 survey, this is 168 of the 212 Accredited museums in the region.
What does the 2016/17 Annual Survey Report cover?
The report divided into four sections:
- Audiences – An overview of visit figures, opening hours, the economic impact of visits, online engagement figures and information on education, activities and events
- Financial Operations – Breakdown of income and donations, impact of spend on goods and services, expenditure and staff costs
- Workforce – Employment impacts and information on paid staff and volunteers
- Comparison Data – 2013-2017 comparison data on finance, staff, volunteers and audience figures
Why does SWMD carry out the Annual Survey?
South West Museum Development carries out the survey to help us demonstrate the social and economic value and impact of museums in the south west, not only locally and regionally, but nationally. This data also enables us to monitor the impact of Arts Council England investment in the museum and heritage sector, to advocate to funding bodies and government to sustain investment in the sector, and to help us to develop the right services within our programme so that we can better support our museums.
For example we know that in 2016/17:
- There were a reported 7,602,271 visits to museums in the South West
- Museums delivered 7,836 learning and outreach sessions, engaging an estimated 349,511 participants
- These visits represented around £92.7 million in gross economic impacts to the regional economy
- There were 10,227 active volunteers in South West museums who contributed around 985,063 hours
- Museums employed around 1,588 paid staff, which equated to 856 Full-Time Equivalents
Contribute to the 2017/18 Annual Survey
Many thanks to the museums who contributed to the 2016/17 Annual Survey. To contribute to the 2017/18 Annual Survey of Museums, you can complete the survey online by following the link below, by Friday 12th October 2018.