We are launching new guidance and skills development sessions to support the vital Accreditation Mentor/museum relationship to flourish.
Accreditation, Arts Council England’s standards scheme for museums, requires museums who do not employ professionally qualified staff to work with an appropriately skilled Accreditation Mentor.
We have developed these new resources and skills sessions in response to needs expressed by these mentors, who do a fantastic job across our region. Their support enables museums to achieve and maintain Accreditation standards. For their part, the museums broaden the experience of mentors, providing essential career development opportunities – a win-win relationship which South West Museum Development is keen to nurture.
Accreditation Mentor Resources
The suite of resources include:
- A template for the Accreditation mentor/museum agreement
- Top tips on conducting the Annual Accreditation review
- Top tips on writing the mentor report to accompany a new application for Accreditation or an Accreditation return
- FAQs and handy tips for Accreditation Mentors
- Guidance for museums on how to get the best from their relationship with their Accreditation Mentor
Accreditation Mentor Training
Accreditation Mentors are encouraged to take advantage of the upcoming SW Museum Skills sessions too, to refresh their skills and share experiences with other mentors in the South West. The sessions will be delivered online and last a maximum of an hour and a half.
- The Accreditation Standard – 25th February 2021
- Mentoring in a crisis (includes bookable 1:1 follow on sessions) – 2nd March 2021
- The Accreditation coffee morning: time for questions and chat at an informal gathering – 24th March 2021
- Supporting your museum with their Forward/Business Plan – 6th April 2021
The resources and sessions have been developed by Vicky Dawson, South West Accreditation Technical Adviser and Alex Gibson, Museum Development Officer for the West of England. Between them the pair have extensive experience of Accreditation and mentoring, bringing practical and insightful advice to a complex and sometimes challenging relationship.