Big digital opportunities for a small museum: SWMD £1000 bursary offer for Culture24 project!
South West Museum Development (SWMD) are delighted to offer eligible* museums in the South West a digital engagement bursary up to the value of £1,000 if they are successful in applying for a subsidised place on Culture24’s Let’s Get Real 7 project.
Culture24’s Let’s Get Real 7
Let’s Get Real is an annual research project which this year will focus on developing better human connections through the digital work of arts and heritage organisations. The project will explore how cultural organisations such as museums might prioritise human purpose and values.
They’ll do this by identifying a new approach for each organisation, conducting small tests and then looking at the results. For example, having authentic and meaningful conversations with your audiences and communities online (i.e. on social media) which aim to do more than simply sell tickets or increase visitor figures but which nurture curiosity, creativity or even kindness.
Project partners will:
- Attend four full-day workshops hosted at the Wellcome Collection in London. Dates are 13 March, 22 May, 10 July and 26 September 2019.
- Hear from expert speakers, facilitators and mentors.
- Run practical digital research experiments within their own organisations, using existing digital tools and channels, supported by regular expert mentoring sessions.
- Be part of a supportive community of peers learning together.
- Build the digital confidence and skills of two members of their staff team. Culture24 invite two people from each organisation to participate in the project (if possible) and attend workshops.
- Contribute to developing key project findings that influence the wider sector.
Subsidised places and SWMD bursary
Culture 24 have made available two subsidised places at £150 (usually £1,450-2,950 +VAT) for organisations with 5FTE or less. To support applications for these subsidised places from the South West we would like to offer a bursary to cover expenses for one museum (one or two participants) up to the value of £1,000 for the project duration.
SWMD recognises the challenges of access for museum organisations in our region to engage in national opportunities due to geography. We anticipate that this bursary would cover the £150 cost of the subsidised place, plus travel and/or accommodation expenses for up to £850 per museum to participate in the London workshops.
Contact us for more information
For more information about the project please see Culture24’s project page and feel free to contact our Digital Engagement Officer Sarah Madden or Culture24’s Research Manager Sejul Malde. To find out more about the Let’s Get Real project, and to download project reports from previous years please see Culture24’s website.
How to apply
The deadline for applications has been kindly extended for museums in the South West to Friday 1st March. If you feel that this could be a good opportunity for your museum to foster a deeper engagement online with your communities, then please complete this short application form. Please note that Culture24 make the final decision on subsidised places for this project.
* Eligible museums need to fit the criteria of employing less than 5 FTE staff, be located in the local authority areas listed here and need to be an Accredited museum in the South West region. This bursary is not available to NPO funded museum organisations.