This year, we awarded Recovery Grants to museums in the south west, with funding provided by Art Fund.
The grant scheme has now closed.
About the Recovery Grants scheme
In recognition of the considerable challenges facing the sector, during the COVID-19 pandemic, we positioned our resources to support museums and heritage organisations to embark on the process of recovery, by offering Recovery Grants, supported by Art Fund.
For a number of reasons, many of the museums we work with were unable to access existing emergency funds; the furloughing of staff, ineligibility for funding and volunteer capacity all contributed to the difficulties in accessing these first response financial measures.
For some museums, re-opening marked the start of recovery; however for others the recovery process will involve new ways of engaging whilst remaining closed.
Recovery Grants offered simple, fast support for museums to assist them to:
- Adapt existing, or develop new ways to connect with their community
- Purchase materials and equipment to improve or restart activity
- Support activity to assess the viability of and readiness for reopening
- Support the health and wellbeing of the paid, and volunteer, workforce through to recovery
- Enhanced existing, or start new, digital activities, addressing equality and accessibility.
About the Grants Awarded
- £78,735 grants awarded
- Grants were distributed to 23 museums across the South West of England
Recovery Grants projects include:
- Developing school and community outreach programmes and support for those delivering virtual events programmes.
- Resources for creating podcast and radio broadcasts to access new audiences.
- Support towards creating Covid-secure museum experiences and in-gallery digital engagement.
- Creating a pop up museum, handling collection and resources project, to reach isolated and disadvantaged communities.
Find out more
For further information or support, please get in touch and select ‘Grants’ in the drop down options.
If you would like to request alternative versions of this information or require assistance with accessing this information in other formats then please get in touch with [email protected].
More of our programmes
A pilot project with Glenside Museum to deliver ‘Pop-up Museum’ handling sessions to care home residents in Bristol
With our expertise in audience and museum data we undertake an Annual Survey of Museums in the South West